- Use different kinds of characters. Use uppercase, lowercase, numbers and symbols when allowed.
- Use long passwords (8 or more characters)
- Change passwords regularly. Change at least quarterly or whenever you think they may have been compromised.
- Don’t give your password to anyone for any reason.
- Don’t write your passwords near your computer, laptop bag, user manuals, etc.
- Don’t send your passwords in an email.
- Avoid personal information in your passwords such as your name, pets, social security number, phone number, etc.
- Don’t use the same password for multiple sign-ins.
- Don’t use easy to discover passwords such as "qwerty" or "123456" or "Password01"